View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
miamifella

Originally Posted by Pathwaytofree View Post
I overcomplicated the heck out of the steps and lost many sponsors, too. Then I found a new group that just teaches it his way:

Step 1 - If I put it in me, and my body says "give me more", of I swear it off but do it again, if I drink because I like the effect, I'm probably an alcoholic.

Step 2- The people who recovered look happy and serene, and they got well having a spiritual awakening, so I am willing to believe that it's possible a higher power can help me.

Also known as, "There might be a God, and I'm not it. I don't have the power to recover from alcoholism, and I need a higher power to help me recover.

Step 3- Ok higher power whatever you are, I'm going to give it all a try.

We then do Step 3 by beginning to write Step 4.

I hope that helps. :-)
But what do you actually do to show a sponsor that you did this?

They all seem to want something tangible as proof I did the step, but in traditional 12-step fashion, they would not say what that proof was.

I tried conversation, verbal declarations, written essays, even took one sponsor on a field trip to a place where I thought i "got it." I even suggested that my actions show that I did the steps, but that was not about to fly.

I never lost a sponsor over any of this until, I had one who actually stated that he wanted me to fill out a questionnaire. When I could not finish the one for the second step, I realized that I could not go back to him. I told him I was having trouble, he said that I should take all the time I need. But I was never able to finish the questions.

I have to admit that hearing about the "weird" meeting gave me hope.