View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 07:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
hellrzr
DOS: 08-16-2012

You should have your sponsor's phone number and you should have other numbers from people who attend the regular meetings that you do and from other in your sponsorship line, or "pigeons" as they are often refereed to.

Your sponsor should have you doing this anyway but a thing that is often encouraged is calling 2-4 other alcoholics everyday. Just to say hi and wish them a good day. A lot of times people don't answer the phone so you leave a nice message. It makes you and them feel better knowing you aren't alone. That action also makes the phone a whole light lighter to pick up when you need to call them for some advice or encouragement later down the road. Or if you call when your ass is falling off, another term you might hear a lot.

Here is something simple that my sponsor told me early on that I found useful. When you get a thought in your head about drinking, or really anything negative, say a simple prayer like "Please God, remove this thought from my head". Say is a few times and take a deep breath. If need be say it some more. Keep saying it until you feel better. It sounds weird and at first it might seem odd to do but I found it helpful for me. It really did help me take my mind off whatever was bothering me.

I certainly understand the over eating thing! But for now you might just want to take on one thing at a time. Overeating, especially sugar, is a common thing we do. Give it some time and things will come together for you!