Old 11-09-2017, 06:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
MLD51
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in. Great topic, MB.

I do feel "stuck" sometimes. I feel stuck in the house that is too big and expensive for me. I feel stuck in the town I have lived in most of my life. I feel emotionally stuck sometimes - like I can't feel much happiness or sadness or really much of anything. Like life is just one big hamster wheel I can't get off.

BUT - then I look back at the nearly three years of sobriety, and realize how much less stuck I actually am than I was when drinking. I was truly stuck then, and even worse, an actual prisoner of my addiction. The things that make me feel stuck now are temporary. I can see a way to change them, in the future. I'm making plans to do just that. Nothing can be done in the short term about the house or where I live, but I realize I will have options in the next few years, and that's exciting. When I was drinking, feeling stuck was enough to get me to go on a major bender so I could forget about it for a while. Now, with a clearer head, I can make decisions that will allow me to move forward later.

And I can look at my life and realize how far I have actually come since getting sober. So when I feel stuck, I do two things. I think about long-term plans, and I also do something in the short-term. Like cleaning a closet. Or sorting the mail that piles up. Or even just go for a walk. These things help me get out of my head a little and give me a small sense of accomplishment.