Old 11-08-2017, 08:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by beingsoberissad View Post
One big thought I have is how sad it is no one seems to know about how bad and difficult alcohol withdrawal is except -some- doctors and alcoholics. By some doctors I mean several I've seen criticized my drinking and seemed angry; others were nice and understanding. But the general public doesn't know anything about it. My family and ex-friends didn't know the severity and dangers, until I had started researching and had to explain to some of them. I didn't even know until a few years ago and that was after drinking for years. Seems to be something everyone should know since half of these people enjoy bingeing for a day or two at a time, then knock you for being dependent without knowing what its doing.
Yep, it's pretty common that there is not a lot of general understanding out there about addiction. Most people don't even think of alcohol as a "drug" to be honest. But the bottom line is that it really doesn't matter - as long as you understand the issue you can do something about it.

You will find that the community here on SR DOES understand addiction very well as nearly all of us are addicts/alcoholics. Many of us have been exactly where you are now and you'll find a lot of support to help you get out of the rut you are in.