Old 11-07-2017, 10:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
beingsoberissad

Question Just wondering something about alcohol kindling..

Hi, new to the forum. Been lurking here and a lot of other websites and forums for information about withdrawals and all. Anyways..

I've been drinking for about 7 years. Started drinking just at night, vodka, at about 18 1/2, every night. That went on for about 4 years. At a point I was up to drinking almost a handle of Seagram's vodka a day (from morning to night) on days I wasn't working. I went cold turkey for about 2 months and didn't have any bad withdrawals.

Later on and basically picking up where I left off, ranging from a fifth to almost a handle a day I quit cold turkey maybe once or twice more, eventually started developing worse and worse withdrawal. Been to the ER and urgent cares 10-15 times in a couple years. They've given me Librium each time.

So I guess onto my big question that I cannot find the answers to online: does quitting alcohol using Librium or another benzo prevent kindling from building up? A few websites I read only said going cold turkey would cause kindling to progress and seemed to suggest getting off using benzos would prevent it.
I just know that my withdrawals have been a lot worse the last several times versus the first five-ish times I quit, and the last year I've been waking up feeling drunk and horrible the entire next day (unless I continued drinking) instead of feeling at most a slight hangover. The last ER trip they even gave me a shot of some kind of Benzodiazepine (I can't remember the name of the one in the shot) and put me on 50 mg of Librium every 4-6 hours which I tapered down after six days.

Basically, just trying to find out if I can ever drink again since I came off several detoxes using medication, or if I'm ****** and can't drink one night without risking DT's or something.. or if I start up again, just never quit.

Thanks. I apologize for my post being so long.