Thread: 6 Months today
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 06:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by Thomas59 View Post
Pleased to read about your 6 months of sobriety ,congratulations .

When you say "as well as recognize that I'm not out of the woods, and never will be completely free from drugs and alcohol looming over me." What do you mean as you did freely sit at the bar .
My relapses always occurred after a good spell of sobriety when I felt good . For this reason I would not put myself on a bar stool at my 3 months of hard earned recovery .
Thanks for the kind words Thomas, as well as everyone else who commented. This site is such a great resource and network!

Being at a bar with a friend who's drinking is simply not a trigger for me. As I still have friends who drink "normally," I can still socialize with them even if they have a drink or two. Having an open bottle of hard liquor at home? NO WAY.

As I said, if I felt remotely triggered I would have left and called a sober friend.

Everybody's different, there are other things I need to be vigilant about. If that changes, I won't sit at the bar in restaurants with a friend who is drinking. What I've seen when people relapse is that they don't really have to do anything to stay sober, usually trying to do it alone.