View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
applewakesup

Sometimes AA members can be a tough lot! Even if you go to meeting, you might not be at the right ones. I'm sure you don't mean it that way, but it can come off that way to people like me who attend meetings but who don't fully identify with them. I know you are defending what has given you so much.

To be honest, it's why I can't jump all the way in. I was once told by someone on this board that if I can't remember my last drunk than I haven't had it. Still hoping that's not true. I'm someone that got sober because alcohol was starting to cause problems in my life. I am surprised at the amount of support I have needed, I think because of how much society holds alcohol as a necessary part of life.

But I do enjoy my group meetings. I go once or twice a week and I take what is helpful to me and leave the rest behind. I find support from the others, even though I don't share several of the same beliefs. It has been suggested that I get a sponsor and I always thank the person for their suggestion. It's an honest thank you because I know they want to be helpful.