View Single Post
Old 11-06-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

What does make a meeting an AA meeting?

A lot of AA dogma isn't in the Big Book. The secretary of my Friday meeting, which is ending up being my home group for want of a better word, had an incident at another meeting he secretaries when someone who hadn't been sober for 24 hours started to share. Someone interrupted the person and pointed out that he hadn't been sober for 24 hours. He wasn't being disruptive and wasn't obviously intoxicated. My secretary stopped him, and thought about it later. He felt it was more compassionate to allow sharing at any time, even in the first 24 hours of sobriety, and there is NOTHING in the Big Book that forbids it. It's tradition, not dogma.

They put it to a vote at the next meeting, and the majority decided to allow sharing in any phase of sobriety, even if it's less than 24 hours.

Different part of the country run their meetings with slight variations, including different readings. Some meetings generally close with the Lord's Prayer, others with the Serenity Prayer (which I vastly prefer), some groups REALLY use the prayer of your choosing in a larger way.

I think that whatever works for the group, particularly over time, is more important than what is traditionally in an AA meeting.

Bill's statement reflects, probably deliberately, the Gospel quote where Jesus said where two or more gather in His name, He is there.

Some people like meetings that are strictly 12 Step study, others prefer to work the steps on their own, or even not at all. People have remained sober without doing much or any step work. It happens. Personally I think they have value, but I'm working them on my own terms and my own time.

What's the one requirement for attending an AA meeting?