View Single Post
Old 11-05-2017, 06:49 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Well, I think lots of us here have had to learn ways to deal with the anxiety and panic attacks once alcohol is off the table, so hopefully people will be able to suggest some strategies that you'll give a go to. Must admit that this is where AA really helped me as well, as most of what got me in that state was all going on in my head - it was an inside job. Learning to stop that cyclonic thinking (my own phrase - like washing machine head but at what feels like endemic proportions at the time) was a real learning curve, and is something I still have to work on when the pressures on. (Now for instance: big deadline coming up, plus poorly cat, work stress, family commitment, church commitment, plus house buying and selling - PHEW!!) Just having a quick break and reminding myself that just for this moment I don't need to do anything but sip my tea. Sure, things will kick off again shortly, but then I'll keep reminding myself to breathe and focus on one thing at a time. And my best will be good enough. Or not. Reminding myself to breathe properly was something I had to do a lot in the first month or so as I kept going dizzy and realising I was only shallow breathing and I'd started thinking about everything all at once again.

BB