View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 03:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
August252015

Glad you are here! I am 20 mo and change (the 21st is my month mark so Nov will bring my "last quarter" to two years!).

AA was- at long last- my plan of action and avenue to a completely different life, and one that is more wonderful than I could have imagined. Getting sober was just the first step - I was given a year, 18 mo to live in Feb 2016, and that finally (after about a decade of increasingly devastating alcoholic behavior- was my moment to decide to change. I chose an uncertain future sober over a certain death by drinking.

Once I made that decision, full court press surrender to AA and acceptance of my disease began my journey beyond sobriety, into recovery.

There are other paths that lead people to success- like SMART or AVRT - and I can just attest to what has worked for me so far- given me hope and a future, and seen the promises of AA coming true in spades.

You can do this. Among advice I was given early and heeded was "look for those who have what you want." I looked for - and FOUND- people who had happy, peaceful, full lives in their recovery and decided that is what I wanted too, and go to any lengths and at any costs to have and grow it myself.