Thread: waking up
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2017, 06:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fusion

Awake, I did that too, I called it self-flagellating. I'd sit there, recalling and reliving my past regrettable actions, beating myself up....whilst drinking and as I drank, the recollections would become more vivid and I'd drink more. It was almost an obsession, like I was wallowing in self-pity, but not enjoying it, if that makes sense.

Forgiving myself was central to stopping drinking, because I knew if I didn't forgive myself, I'd simply continue the beating myself up and drinking loop.

Being awake and living in the now, being aware of any automatic, repetitive negative thoughts that arise, and allowing them to flow away on the river of consciousness, is key to my peace of mind. Although I'd practiced meditation for years, until I really became aware of the ingrained, habituated thought patterns from which I suffered (to include the AV and also negative self-talk, fear and worry) I didn't realise what a hold they had over me, how I was being tossed around on a tumultuous sea of damaging thought.

Once I became aware of the 'thoughts' which constantly crop up and then dissipate, it's only when I become entangled with the thoughts and 'think' about them, that I suffer. In order to not suffer, I notice the 'thought' dismiss it and carry on with my life. I am the person who observes the 'thoughts' as in if I decide to sit down and plan how to deal with a problem, I am me, the 'thinker' but if the problem 'thoughts' keep relentlessly pestering me, when I don't want to 'think' about them, then I can notice the unwanted 'thought' and dismiss it.