Old 10-26-2017, 08:10 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
DontRemember

Originally Posted by Downthepath View Post
Giving up drinking is the most selfish thing I've ever done - which makes it a bit difficult to get my head around.
This is true. I thought I was being selfish(and was) by my continued drinking,then my spiral out of control. I was told at my 1st meeting that it is going to 'be all about me for a while'..I didn't think it would,but boy was I wrong! I'm probably more 'selfish' now than ever...and I need to be. When I was drinking I was somewhat of a pushover just agreeing to pretty much any and everything. I was 'that guy..call him,he'll go'..No more. I feel like I've aged,mentally,about 15yrs. I'm pretty much about myself and my family now. Business and friends come next. I'm not currently dating and not planning on it for a while,as I don't really have the time or headspace for anyone else at the moment and that feels very freeing. I was letting myself be pulled in so many different directions,while actively drinking, I'm not surprised I went off the deep end with the booze,drugs,ect.. When I look at the old me,now, I honestly don't know how I'm still alive and somewhat sane. Hang in there.