Thread: I am scared
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2017, 06:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mac4711

Babescake,
No judgment here either, wouldn’t dream of it! Like others have said above, you need to look at your priorities and from what I’ve learned here on SR, that means to stop drinking first and foremost. This is the crucial step to recovery, and everything else comes after that. So even if weight gain is threatening your self image, you need to get over it, so you can fight this horrible disease.
One of the guys here told the story of how he once rolled on the floor and covred himself with ketchup and corn flakes to prevent himself from going out and buying alcohol. That’s a disgusting story if I’ve ever heard one, but he was spot on: not drinking is job #1! He demonstrated to what lengths one has to go to stay sober!
So going back to your situation (and mine, lol!) being sober trumps gaining weight any time of the day, so we need to take it one step at a time. In the first three months of my sobriety, the urge for sugar in the evening was just incredible, but I was at peace with it, even though the (delicious !) ice cream really jacked up my weight. But now the urge to drink has gone and so have the sugar cravings, so I’ve decided that it’s now time to watch what I eat. Ice cream has been replaced by johurt and berries in the evening, let’s see how it goes.
Doing too many things at a time is really overwhelming for me and I suspect it might be for you, too!