Old 10-25-2017, 05:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
JeffreyAK

Looking back, I think for me there was a critical point where I decided I was done, I wanted the madness to end and I knew it was time to quit. It felt different that time, and I had finally come to understand that I was not going to "figure out how to moderate again" (= keep drinking, but minus all the negative consequences), I had failed too many times and I was clear even to my pickled brain that it was never going to happen. But it was more than deciding to quit, after all I could decide in 2 weeks to drink again, it was also about deciding to make use of all available resources and putting continued sobriety at top priority over all other things. For me at the time that meant committing to an all-day/every-day intensive outpatient program, not interacting with certain people, not going to certain places, planning my days out and thinking ahead to possible points where I might be triggered, attending community support group meetings, learning as much as I could about addiction, reading, a bunch of other little decisions that supported the major decision to quit. I've seen a lot of people trip up after making a decision to quit, but not making all those other little decisions to help keep themselves quit long-term.