View Single Post
Old 10-24-2017, 03:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MelSober

MelSober 12 Days

Hello, found this site googling to find out why I am NOT losing weight but NOT drinking. I know there are other benefits- saving money, sleeping better, not thinking about cocktail hour that was coming earlier each week- I know alcohol was controlling me.

I'm sticking to this but it isn't fun yet. It isn't miserable but dealing with life and emotions without my bottle of wine can be intense. I'm glad I am emotionally more stable,but also feel disconnected and lonely. At this point I have just made this a thing I am doing for some length of time until alcohol doesn't control me anymore, but then why would I start again knowing it will take over again? I focus on what is going better and the benefits but DANG! I miss my Cabernet. I hope this lessens over time.

For background, I am a 48 year old woman, married to a nondrinker with two teen children. I'm not overweight by any stretch but my weight creeping up was shallowly the main reason I quit drinking. Vanity sobriety. I don't have stories of jail or dramatic drunk stories, I just was needing more and more wine to knock the edge off my day and that seems a bad habit. I come from a family with alcohol abuse history but functional. Maybe not having a "rock bottom" moment ( although there are forgotten moments and not attractive ones) makes it harder to turn off the switch of desire?

I am happier not drinking for a ton of reasons but part of me thinks that I will somehow be able to go back to being just a social drinker. NEVER drinking again sounds very boring to me but it is still early days I suppose. It is very annoying that I didn't drop weight, despite NOT drinking a bottle a wine a day and eating way less ( because I was a binge eater when drinking). I am a frequent intense exerciser and have been for years, however the past few months my stable weight has been ticking up. Its a bummer. Anyway, I'm glad to have a place to figure out the day to day.