View Single Post
Old 10-21-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
vinepest

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Vinepest
Are you familiar with AVRT/RR 's view of substance abuse 'treatment' in general, i.e. That treatment in the usual current day sense is actually an impediment to quitting ?
I recently read large portions of The Small Book, so, yes, I'm a little bit familiar with Trimpey's views on AA, at least. However, I don't recall him delving into other addiction treatment therapies, in that book. I do recall him criticizing the disease concept, though, which I guess might stand behind some other non-AA therapies. And to a great extent, I agree with his criticisms. AA is indeed highly religious in nature, and promoting the disease concept has the potential to encourage alcoholics to wallow in self-pity.

But that then raises the question, if the usual therapies don't work, then what does? Trimpey's answer is AVRT. I'm not sold on it, though, as I have learned to be very skeptical of such claims. Hence, my requirement for evidence.

As you have surely gathered from my generally negative tone, I'm a deep pessimist with regard to substance abuse treatment. I see very little of promise in today's medical scene (and still less outside it) with regard to addiction. There are some glimmers of hope: Methadone programs are remarkable, certainly, and I'm sure there are some other examples of genuinely effective therapies. I need to learn more, of course. But so far, the situation is looking pretty grim. I can't help but think that, for the most part, we're all pretty much on our own if we want to beat our addictions.