Thread: Struggling
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 09:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

ISM. Incredibly short memory. That seemed to be my major problem too. The memories that should keep me safe just don’t come to mind.

Right at the moment, you are working a good defence. The memories are enough to get you talking to folks, to take some positive action. Now is the moment to get serious about recovery, because everything will change when the ISM kicks in.

This was when i forgot completely why I stopped drinking. I also forgot what I was supposed to do if I felt like I might drink. The only thought going on in my mind was that a drink would be nice just to relax and enjoy myself. No way I was going to call anyone at this stage. In my insane way of thinking, anyone I called would only be trying to talk me out of enjoying myself. Too late by this time.

When I got into recovery, I got in the habit of calling people when things were going well, not just when I was feeling off. I also took advantage of the window of opportunity to work the steps. I went to meetings on the same basis, feeling good or bad, I went. Dr Bob called it taking out insurance against a possible slip.

Insurance is a good analogy. You cant insure a house after it has burnt down, you must do it before hand.