View Single Post
Old 10-19-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by BrightenMeUp View Post
I have never been to a psychiatrist. Is it mostly talk and listen type therapy?
It really depends on the psychiatrist ;-) Some are very proactive in prescribing meds, others not so much. Psychologists cannot prescribe meds so they work with therapy exclusively. I have personally found therapy/counseling to be a lot more effective than meds for help with my anxiety and addiction issues, but every person is different.

I was in a very similar situation to you, although I had quit drinking for almost a year before I sought help for my anxiety. I went to my doctor first and they immediately prescribed some meds without even considering therapy, I decided to pursue therapy on my own. I did try a med or 2 and they were somewhat helpful, but i personally feel that they only treat the symptoms..not then root of my anxiety.

Benzos are very, very dangerous for an addict...i'm kind of surprised your doctor prescribed them after telling him about your alcohol abuse problems. Benzos affect the brain in a very similar fashion to alcohol....some people equate them to booze in pill form actually.

Either way, coming here to get advice/experience and continuing to explore options with your doc or a counselor seems like a great idea.