View Single Post
Old 10-19-2017, 04:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

I can understand when people consider AA a 'cult'. It makes sense from the standpoint of those who haven't spent much time with AA or struggled with addiction themselves.

For me, AA wasn't 'The answer' - but it was part of the answer.

I don't consider myself "An AA".... but I have spent many hours at AA meetings. I haven't worked the steps as prescribed. But I've allowed the steps to help guide me and have worked them in my own ways.

I don't go to AA much anymore - but in my Year One it was an invaluable source of strength, community, comfort, support and always-available help in staying sober.

I don't thump the Big Book - but I've read it several times through.

Without AA and without giving back by offering my experience in AA meetings and recovery work - I'm sure my sobriety wouldn't be where it is.

AA was one tool in an ever-growing assortment of tools for me. I'm almost 4 years sober. I haven't gone to an AA meeting in months, but I see and talk with fellow community members I know from the rooms almost daily. And I know that anytime I feel a need to be in the supportive arms of others who understand my struggles with addiction - they'll be there. That is invaluable.

Regardless of what others may tell you about AA - my suggestion is you let your own path be guided by what it might offer you. Regardless what some in AA may tell you, there are many paths of sobriety and you're not inherently "doing it wrong" if you don't do it exactly as they did.

Regardless what reservations you may hold personally about AA, if you're willing to set those aside and enter the rooms with the simple, humble question in mind "What might AA have to offer me in getting and staying sober" - I'm confident you'll find value in it on some level.

Keep at it.... sobriety is a beautiful gift of life.