View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 06:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Thanks Obladi, that was a very interesting piece.

When I read something like that, it doesn't seem like something I would agree with or disagree with. But what I could see was a fairly close correlation in what the author wrote and my experience with alcholism.

A good point was made about the external consequences of drinking not being symptoms of addiction, but sometimes perhaps could be confirming indicators. Hence drunkalogues, which are mostly about consequences, do not bring about identification in many cases.

Another line I particularly liked was that" life can only be lived forwards and understood backwards" and addiction can only be understood from the shores of recovery. I believe that to be the same with the steps, they can only be understood in hindsight.

The comments about denial and psychosis also rang bells with me. I am quite certain I had no grip on reality. In fact the basis of one spiritual experience was the rather sudden ability to see the truth of my life for the first time. It was a profound moment to break through into the light.

Thanks again, it will be interesting to see what others can draw from this article.