View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 05:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Bluemilk View Post
Yeah, this is the thing I'm thinking on now. I've never really wanted to go to AA because I'm not religious at all and I get a bit put off by the Christian undertones. Not that I have anything against religion and/or Christianity specifically; it just feels a bit... not sure what the word is... not for me? I am, however, thinking finding a support group and developing some strategies aside from "just don't drink" would be useful. Life won't stop being life regardless of what I'm drinking.
I had a few issues about the god bit too. I used it a s a reason to stay away until I was almost dead. It really was my alcholism rationalising why I shouldn't go.

Then I think my ego got in on the act in the first few weeks sober. It wanted to be in charge, and it risked being exposed if I did some of those steps. The real issue was a reluctance to get honest, not really about God at all.

I know of people who have good reason to despise organised religion due to actual events in their lives. That wasn't me. Prejudice and ignorance was my basis for challenging the God thing. And maybe a fear that I would lose my identity if God took over my life.

I settled on the group as a higher power for a month or two, and as I worked the steps, I came to my own understanding about God.

It is strange but on the very rare occasions, I can think of two, where someone went of on a bit of a religious rant, the words Jesus Christ can still antagonise me, though I can think of no good reason why. I don't know what that is about.

I use the word God today because I can't think of anything better to describe what I mean. Bill once referred to him as the father of light, which is kinda nice but a bit long winded.

Apart from those to instances, which averages out at one every 18 years, I have not found religion to be an issue in AA. I wouldn't know most people's personal beliefs. We don't talk about them. The one I have sponsored have had different believes to me, some religious, some at the other end of the scale. The program allows for that. As long as their belief makes sense to them, that is really all that matters.