View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 05:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I took Antabuse for the first three month of my recovery. It was part of going to any lengths, and a very good tool for getting through a temporary rough spot. But it is not a treatment for alcholism. Just not drinking does not treat alcholism.

In my experience, there is only one thing more miserable than an alcoholic white knuckling sobriety, and that is an alcoholic living with untreated alcholism who really wants to drink because it is the only thing in the world he believes will make him ok, but can't because he is in some way prevented.

A man I met drank, had a road accident which broke his neck among other things, hated AA, and all he wanted to do was drink. He was confined to bed, had partial use of one arm, had been that way for three months with no visitors until I came along. Was intubated so couldn't speak. It was the saddest thing I have ever seen. And obviously he could not drink.

My friends brother died of liver failure. Same kind of thing, sitting up in bed, wearing nappies, all yellow, and the only thing he wanted was to get drunk. That was the only way he thought he could feel good.

When I took Antabuse I had the AA program of recovery. I worked the steps and by the three month mark my life had changed to such an extent that the Antabuse became redundant. The drink problem had been removed.

Trying to use Antabuse as a stand alone method of recovery could have unintended consequences. It was never intended for that purpose.