View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
alexandrav

Originally Posted by Hats View Post
Alcohol is definitely cunning, baffling and powerful. I can relate to the mental obsession you describe. What helped me in those 1st few weeks with the cravings was.
Identifying my triggers - Write them down
When a urge comes, ride it through and occupy yourself with something positive - again, write down some positive things you can do.
Log onto SR regularly and make that 24hr commitment
Change your routine - take a different route home from work, go for a walk ect. Again make a list of routine changes and write them down.

Every time you make it past a craving, each time you beat it, you become stronger and it's the start of retraining your brain. Each time the cravings will lessen. Time is the greatest healer..

You can do this
Thank you! I have a list of websites I usually log into before I start any work, and I'm going to make SR among the first. Instead of Facebook. I'm actually taking a break from Facebook, I think, and focus more on the SR forums for the time being.

Changing my routine will be the biggest hurdle, because I'm not the "stereotypical" alcoholic who spends time at the bar or at parties. I actually am an endurance athlete who manages to run 100+ miles a week while working full time and pursuing a second graduate degree. My drinking hasn't directly interfered with my performance. I actually drink LESS when I am out with friends, and more when I am by myself, alone with my thoughts and fighting the crippling effects of depression, anxiety, and PTSD.

I just started twice-a-week trauma therapy and am taking an anti-depressant, along with an anxiolytic as needed, to kick-start my recovery process. I'm hoping that alcohol becomes less and less a priority in my life. When I'm bored, having that first drink is all I want to think about. I want to get to the point where it's just a flicker in my mind, if that.

Thanks for the helpful comments, all!