View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Frank14

Originally Posted by alexandrav View Post

I can't find the willpower to defeat the psychological craving.

I did a search of the forum on "cravings" and it seems like when these end, and whether they even end at all, is highly individual. Still, for those of you who have seen a significant and meaningful reduction in cravings after a period of sobriety, how long does it take and what is your trick when all you can think about is a drink? one substance I can definitely admit has deprived me of my power.

Someone please tell me that if I can grin and bear it through a week or two of mental cravings, it'll be easier from that point on...

--A
Write out a detailed plan of activities that you will do when you are bored, stressed, and simply have down-time. Also come up with things to do that break your habit. For example, I used to sit on the couch in the evening and drink while watching TV. Well, I immediately stopped watching TV and went to my list of other activities. This broke up my routine on day one.

You may need to write these out hour-by-hour if needed. Keep your mind active and thinking of other things. Go for a walk, go to a movie, go to the store, go read a book, etc., It's good to have a hobby or something where you can concentrate and have your mind totally focused on other things. Photography/Photoshop, etc., has been a great diversion for me.