View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Bluemilk

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I can relate to the blank spot. Often I didn’t remember taking the first drink it didn’t need any traumatic event to set me of though. It was more like autopilot.
21 days is good going. It was the best I could manage before I started into aa.

The thing is that life is full of traumatic events. It is a certainty that more stuff is coming your way, drunk or sober.

Some folks find it relatively easy to stay sober, as long as everything is going well. The best time I had was locked up in the nut farm, so easy to stay sober in there. But out there in life sooner or later something bad is going to happen. The question is how will I react?

I went to aa, worked the program, to ensure I would react sanely and normally, and not drink when something bad happens.

Did it work? Well, life certainly sent the bad stuff my way at times. I lost my father, my sponsor, my wife and my best friend to cancer the bottle never came up as an option. Instead I was able to handle things appropriately like a normal human being.

Maybe aa is something you ought to consider, unless there is something in your experience that tells you that next time you will be able to handle those blank spots.
Yeah, this is the thing I'm thinking on now. I've never really wanted to go to AA because I'm not religious at all and I get a bit put off by the Christian undertones. Not that I have anything against religion and/or Christianity specifically; it just feels a bit... not sure what the word is... not for me? I am, however, thinking finding a support group and developing some strategies aside from "just don't drink" would be useful. Life won't stop being life regardless of what I'm drinking.