Old 10-17-2017, 10:25 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
trailmix

Originally Posted by GoodguyJoel View Post
Kodi,
I got tougher and tougher on her with these boundaries until I came to the final one of kicking her out. She cried heavily in an intervention with her support group when I told her we wouldn’t be able to go on together and have the family we wanted together. This point I never truly thought she would get to because it would open her eyes to reality. It did for a short period until she drank again, unable to stop herself. I would get frustrated and sometimes say unkind things, but never was abusive, but the very real threat of me leaving her was always looming.
Being in a relationship where the "very real threat" of you leaving her at any moment is not pleasant - for either person.

I'm sure it's already been said in this thread but if so, bears repeating. You have the problem here with her drinking, not her.

That's a really important point. You can want her to be sober very badly, but that's YOUR side of the street, not hers. She is an adult person and if she wants to drink she will, regardless of your good intentions.

Play it out. She is an addict, she is with you, loves you and you have what you describe as a good relationship. You force her to choose, basically, between alcohol or you.

If you read other stories on here you will see that many, many times when an addict is forced to choose between their drug of choice and their family, they choose their drug. That is addiction.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but I think it's an important thing to think about.

I'm sorry this happened to you, I wish you well.