View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 04:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
calvinm16

I believe that is how many of us are. Some of us were binge drinkers, problem drinkers, drink for the buzzers, drink to blackout, etc..

There are many types of alcohol abuse and addiction if that makes sense. Some people don't drink enough to actually get a painful hangover or hangover at all. This was me most of the time, I'd drink a 12 pack to myself of Budweiser almost every night and never got a hangover usually. I'd only get a hangover when I'd forget to drink my quart of water after 12 beers or if I drank with friends and ended up probably drinking 20-24 beers.

I would have that itch where I'd be watching the clock for work to get over so I could run to the store and buy beer, or I'd be already drunk and see the clock says 1:30 AM and throw my pants on quick and run out the door to get to the store before 2 AM so I could get more beers... So in a sense I did have the same feeling and I still do. I created a routine that was religiously followed by me quite literally like a slave. If I'd end up falling asleep after work and wakeup at 2:30 AM I'd have a fit and be a dick until the next day. I was pretty well a slave to alcohol and spending boat loads of money on my habit not to mention paying a huge price with my health & physical appearance. Got up to 280 lbs and was severely depressed & anxious all the time.

I'm now 59 days sober, 28 lbs lighter and it only has been getting better, the cravings subside on a daily basis but are more intense the longer I go when they actually do happen. I have a few days a week where I'll get some really heavy cravings and start getting the voice in my head "Go just get yourself a beer Calvin you deserve it. You've worked hard and done so well, just 1 24 oz beer." and I have to remember, that 1 24oz beer will lead to a trip to the store before 2 AM to buy more and restart this horrid expensive, unhealthy and depressing anxiety fueling cycle.

Be strong Vulcan you got this. Alcohol is just a weak little punk that wants to bully us around.

P.S Usually when I get hardcore cravings I've noticed I'm actually just really hungry or thirsty, chugging a quart of water and eating a healthy snack like an apple or protein shake tends to reduce the cravings by 80% for me. Give it a shot and remember being sober is so much better than being intoxicated and poisoned.