View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Caprice6

Originally Posted by applewakesup View Post
I'm glad you are right back at it without beating yourself up! I think that in sobriety, people get really protective of the way they did it and what worked for them to the point that they find it necessary to criticize if someone does something that's a big no-no for them. Don't take it personally.

I don't know what I would do if I took a drink one night. One of the things that keeps me from drinking is knowing how much continuous sobriety I have. However, I think you said you don't count days anyway. It is clear that you have surely improved and one evening of drinking a couple of beers does not take that away. Maybe others want to caution you from using that as an excuse to drink again. Clearly you don't plan to do that. Best of luck to you and thanks for being so brave as to share here!
Thank you for your encouragement and support!
I just feel it's extreme and I'm not perfect, and realistically I can't expect perfection from myself. It's drastic and I've had issues in my teens with eating disorders and inpatient hospitalizations (3 months to get back to acceptable weight) as well as outpatient intensive (daily) treatment. It takes time, you fail many times and some still live with it and manage it "under control" as for me, i substituted it with alcohol. I didn't care anymore, i was free from those clutches and nightmare. Drinking was more socially acceptable too, i actually didn't have to hide or be ashamed as much. In any case, I am taking the same approach now. A slip or giving in is not the end all, it doesn't take away the progress. It's helped (the time out) in that I recovered from it much faster and the urge is not as intense.
Am walking right now to the addiction center to get nicotine patches because it had been and still is my next step. I want to be free from all addictions but it may not be a flawless process. My goal is still to remain sober and live sober. Last thing i want is to get caught up in any vicious cycle controlling and destroying my health, mind and life again.