View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 04:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
August252015

Great job so far! It does keep getting better - and IME as I have learned tools and my thinking has completely changed in countless ways, dealing with "Waves" or "milestones" or unexpected things (definitely agree that there are "surprise" moments along the way).

IME . . . 100 days was a great turning point for physical, mental and emotional growth.

4 months had a week or so of complete irritability.

8 mos was wonderful - 9 was a mixed bag.

13 was awesome- of course, a year was so important but by then things felt "normal" in my life of recovery.

I have had some amazing things happen so far in my recovery- most certainly seen many promises coming true during my very dedicated AA program, here at almost 20 mo (this Sat).

18 mo- I got a very unpleasant surprise - I was so disturbed by a trip to the mtns for a wedding by the glut of wine and places with wine and wedding and...my problem (wanting to drink and such) has been removed but it was a huge EMOTIONAL "thing" for me.

At this point, I have found myself dealing with anxiety- mainly over great things and also about ongoing "situations" (my complex rel with my mom, for example) - and so much gratitude for things like a wonderfully growing relationship with my 15 yr old stepdaughter to be, and working for a restaurant group whose owner started an industry recovery group; I have become part of an amazing work culture.

I outline it like this because IME (and as others have shared and I have seen them go through) recovery is a journey that doesn't stop - and that's one of the best things about it. We don't know what's coming next and IME learning to accept that (and re-accept it, as with all things) is critical for a life of peace and joy in recovery, which is a very different thing than mere sobriety (abstinence). Fear need not be a part of our lives, but awareness is. A plan for "big" or "risky" situations - for example, this week I am in Charleston SC (I live in Atlanta) for some big events, meetings and growth with my work opportunity and I have a detailed plan for my week, including a list of meetings here, plans for dinner with a friend, people to call and text as needed for any reason, plans for yoga classes on my two free days - and permission to go home if I become uncertain I can emotionally handle anything.

My AA program saved my life and continues to give me life every day. Whatever program someone uses- and I adamantly believe a program of ACTION, beyond ourselves, our will, our self-reliance, which are simply not enough, at least for this alcoholic- living well in sobriety (for me, better than I ever have before) is entirely possible.

Best to you for your continued sobriety and recovery.