View Single Post
Old 10-15-2017, 12:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
WritingFromLife

Forward is definitely the right direction; however, be careful. I can totally understand your line of thinking--for me, that would be dangerous. I would be subconsciously giving myself permission to "slip" again, as I can always "move forward" the next day. I have to recognize it for what it is, counting days or not.

Originally Posted by WritingFromLife View Post
Here's Me:

Sober for a stretch, then out of the blue, have a glass of wine or two with dinner. That's not so bad. Here is a post I did on another thread. Hope it helps shed some light on what I mean.

Next Day - no alcohol

Next day--I will get just one regular size bottle on my way home. I don't have to drink it all. I probably won't even open it.

Next day---see, there's still wine in the bottle! That evening-I have to get groceries-I will grab another bottle-seems this is okay. I don't feel bad at all. I can do this! Plus, it will give me a white wine buzz so I will have energy to organize the study!

Next Day-Drank the leftovers and the whole new bottle.

Next Day--Grab the BIG wine bottle (or two of the smalls.....) repeat for a month with a couple days every now and then of nothing. After 30 days, sluggish, dull eyes and skin, blood sugar all over the place, the wine tastes like watered down vinegar, doesn't do much of anything but give me a "come-down" like depression. Completely out of touch with my spiritual side and well being. Going down fast. Cancelling plans, saying things I don't mean....shame.

Next Day: Decision- Abstain. Get Sober. DON'T REPEAT. GET A PLAN NOW.

Upcoming days/weeks/months......CONTENTMENT like a warm blanket , endorphins from head to toe, RADIANCE...and so much more. No anxiety. Living n the moment Grateful--more than I ever thought possible.

(Don't wait for cirrhosis, DUI, esophageal varices, depression, isolation from friends and family--get off the elevator on THIS floor while you still can....lest you go straight to the basement. Once the doors open, it's very hard to go back up. For some, it's impossible....wet brain shows up)