Thread: Time...
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
I'm feeling great - thank you! I got up and went on a long walk this morning, which I never would've done after a night out. It's kinda weird, bc I'm starting to see family members' problem drinking habits (although not NEARLY like I was), and it makes me a bit sad for them. But, I guess I better keep my mouth shut or else then I'll be that person who thinks just bc I quit, everyone has too. I don't think my sister needs to quit, but, her husband is clearly an alcoholic (as she knows) and becomes a bad influence on my sister. She'll have 4 bottles a week, which, while barely any compared to my old habits, is not healthy or good. I notIced she twice said how she was done for the night, and he twice refilled her red wine bc he doesn't like to drink alone, and then my sister finished them both times, because, hey, they were already poured and there. I guess I should stick my nose out of it and just focus on myself for now. Maybe, down the line, I can be some sort of positive role model.
Yes- definitely don't get involved in that. Just focus on your side of the street. Once they see how great sobriety and recovery is for you, perhaps you will be the catalyst for them to reconsider the role of alcohol in their lives, but until that time restraint of tongue might be in order. I find that a good mental gauge of when to say something (that I was taught to use by an old member of AA) is to ask myself "Does it NEED to be said? Does it need to be said NOW? Does it need to be said by ME?" And if the answer to any of those questions is 'no' then I try to curb my wobbly-gob (sometimes even successfully lol).

Glad you're feeling good.

BB