Old 10-14-2017, 11:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MidnightBlue
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Five Years Sober. What I've Learned So Far

Hi, my fellow SR members.

As you may know from another thread here I’ve reached 5 years milestone today.

And you know...Not as if I am counting...But I am counting. Not everyday counting as Day 1, Day 2, Day 12. But October 14 stands out for me now as a day when my life changed. I wouldn’t exaggerate to call it my second Birthday.

By the way, I am ok with counting as far as I don’t see a certain number of sober days as an indicator that now I can drink in moderation or have “just one”. I can’t.

Rather it shows me how far I can go. And that one seemingly small change in a lifestyle (just stop buying and drinking wine) multiplied by a distance of five years can result in mind-blowing changes.

So, five years ago I just stopped. Had my last drink late at night on October 13, found SR, logged in, and never had alcohol since then.

And every year I am looking forward to October 14 as my day of miracle. Something that was hard to imagine became reality.

To be honest, I am a little bit moody today. I don’t know why. For some reason my emotions failed to be in “peak condition” for my big day. It’s ok, though.

For my anniversary thread I usually write where I was both physically and emotionally and where I am now. It shows what a person can achieve when free of alcohol influence.

Today my emotions don’t respond to my achievements. I am not “achievement-oriented happy” today. It’s ok too. Tomorrow my emotions will wake up. And I will proceed exactly where I put my good mood on pause. Natural cycle of things. My achievements won’t go anywhere.

But that's not the way it work when I drank. Bad mood was aggravated with destructive influence of alcohol.

Five years ago I was desperate. I had no job and my housing situation was extremely unstable. Aftermath from my childhood trauma still kept me awake lots of nights. I had no idea where to begin to start fixing this mess. I turned out the right start was to quit wine.

Now I have a job, my own apartment, new friends, new hobbies, majorly improved self-confidence. Not perfect by any means. But so me.

Just the other Sunday, on my way back from the gym I had the first, though fleeting, spark of feeling that I am proud of who I am. Unapologetically. No ifs. I’ve been through hell. I’ve survived. I am working on being better. I am proud.

So, what’ I’ve learned:
  • The first year, especially first three months is all about staying sober. The body and brain adjust to functioning without alcohol. Emotions are all over the place. I am rebuilding my life to live it happily without alcohol. It’s not rare to hear that first months of sobriety feel like a part-time (or even full-time) job. It is. But my drinking used to consume time worth of part-time job. And somehow it never bothered me. “Before you start doing things better you have to stop doing things worse”. If I don’t drink today I am already in a better place compared to yesterday.
  • So, take it easy. Don’t throw too much on yourself. Avoid unnecessary stress. I was so inspired by getting and staying sober that wanted to accomplish a thousand of high-profile achievements within the first year. Not the best idea. Staying sober goes first.
  • Plan is your best friend. It’s a must to plan for weekends, dangerous situations which trigger cravings, stressful events and job-related activities. In early sobriety if you rely on “I’ll figure it out somehow”, the power of addiction is still too strong to confront it unprepared.
  • Keep building your sobriety system every day. The more tools I have in my sobriety box - the better. Exercising, online-classes, meditation, SR and whatever helps to beat the cravings. Create the system which works for you. There are no dogmas or one-fits-and-works-for-all solutions.
  • Accept cyclical nature of life. Highs and lows. Don’t beat yourself over lows. Don’t get too excited about highs. Learn to benefit from both.
  • Don’t be afraid to let “friends” go. Those who belong to your alcohol-free life will stay there. Those who measure quality of friendship based on amount of alcohol shared are not real friends.
  • Challenge and re-assess believes and values regularly. After five years it became clear most of the values I used to hold to were not mine. And that is why I felt so lost. And scared. And unloved. At some point I let myself got lost. It’s ok. I found my way out.
  • Sobriety is superpower against fears. Fear exists in psychological time, when I give it my brain space and emotional resources. When I used to numb myself with wine fear didn’t go anywhere but used this time to grow 100 times bigger and stronger. Clear analysis of a situation and a timely action beat most of fear easily.
  • Aim for such a life that, as Richard Branson said, you are so “high on life” you don’t even need any stimulants. Never cease learning and being curious.
  • Sober is new normal. Why most people start drinking in the first place? Because everyone does. Who said I should do what everyone else does?

There is so much more, but I''d better stop here.

To sum it up - I am darn glad I made this decision five years ago.

I hope my cloudy mood didn’t rain on the post which was supposed to be encouraging.

I can’t thank SR enough for changing my life.

Love you all.