Thread: Time...
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2017, 05:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sohard

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
I'm a teacher as well Sohard. Once you've got more sobriety under your belt things will get easier. Those first weeks are exhausting though. They just are.

I remember wondering what I was ever going to do to fill all that time. Meetings really helped (AA) and it was good to meet other professional women who's walked the path of recovery before me and could offer their experience and hope. I got a lot of strength from them, and still do.

I also started volunteering at local events - helping out at the firework display; marshalling local running events so the more sporty types could actually join in the 'fun'; and other one off events (being a teacher I didnt want to over-commit). Also, I thought back to some of the things I used to enjoy in childhood (when I was last sober lol), and used some of my time trying those things again. Art, sewing, tap-dancing, book group, author events at the local book shop, going to see local productions at the theatre, creative writing group, cake decorating ... I tried bell-ringing as well, but that was an unmitigating disaster. Anyway - what I'm saying is that there is SO much to spend your time on. But none of it comes looking for us.

Please be careful tonight. I'd suggest having a good exit plan (or even better, an excuse not to attend - not forever, but in your first few weeks of sobriety at least.) The main triggers can be remembered by HALTS
Hungry / Hormonal
Angry
Lonely
Tired
Sick
Your plan for getting through this evening could take those things into account , and include ways of preventing each of those cropping up.

Anyway. Well done for the sober time so far.
BB
Thank you for this helpful email. The bell-ringing anecdote gave me the first laugh I've had this hellish week.