Old 10-12-2017, 06:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
MLD51
Giving up is NOT an option.

Great opener, MB!

Happy birthday, LAVA!

I was terrified to quit drinking - I had no idea who I was, and I was afraid to find out. I was afraid I'd lose all my friends - that I'd be doomed to a life of loneliness - because pretty much ALL of my friends are pretty heavy drinkers. But I had to take the leap, and face those fears, because my life was a complete mess and I knew it would only get worse.

What I found is that I'm not lonely. I discovered the joy of being alone when others are out partying - because I like my own company now that I'm not constantly regretting my bad behavior and not diving ever deeper into the despair of self-loathing. I have found new, sober friends in AA and online (Thank you, SR). I also can still be with the few people who are my friends in real life who actually care about me - and not just the party girl they used to drink with. I enjoy my family - grown daughter and her child, teenage son, a lot more than I ever imagined. My relationships with them are so much better now that I'm responsible and PRESENT for them.

There really was nothing much to be afraid of, after all. My life is mostly calm and drama-free now. I have found a lot of peace. And when things do get dramatic, I can step back and handle things in a much better and more mature way. I love being sober, especially on weekends when I get things done and have time to actually relax without creating more problems.