Thread: A Stoics view..
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fusion

Yes, I've just reviewed the course and it has altered since last year, so I've joined. I don't need Stoicism to stop drinking, because obviously, with AVRT, I've already stopped drinking forever. Since I stopped drinking, I've been self-rediscovering and self-renewing, so this struck a chord, because I've been reflecting upon what I really wish for the remainder of my life. I don't mean financially purchased acquisitions, of course I'd still love to win the lottery but..

Here's an extract from the course introduction, it's only seven days and the material can be read afterwards:

This year’s theme is self-renewal – a journey into Stoicism. The Handbook has been designed to enable you to take a fresh look at your life and reflect on what changes you could make to bring yourself closer to your own ideals and aspirations. The Handbook also offers a step-by-step journey into Stoicism, and refers to several of its core distinctive ideas: that happiness in life depends on virtue, that our life constitutes an ongoing process of ethical development, that all human beings are our brothers and sisters, that we are an integral part of Nature, and that Nature forms a providential whole. Our hope is that thinking about these Stoic ideas can offer a pathway towards renewing and transforming yourself into what you really want and aspire to be. Of course, this week can only be a start – both in self-renewal and in learning about Stoicism. However, people have found it very helpful in previous years and so we hope you will too. The Handbook as a whole contains suggestions about how to take this process forward after Stoic Week.