Old 10-09-2017, 10:56 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  
BrightenMeUp

First I wanna say that this thread is both amazing and inspirational to me. I am 6 days in of being sober (cold turkey). I tried weaning and tapering but it just didnt work for me as im the type that if I have 1 I need 3 and if I have 3 I need 9 and so on. I am suffering withdrawal right now pretty bad. My insomnia is terrible and I feel like I havent slept in days. Plus anxious and headachy and the works.

Anyway, I have been an alcoholic for a long time and have tried to quit on many occasions, always failed, never made it 3 days. I travel a lot for work and spend many of my nights in hotels. So what does an alcoholic do at a hotel with nothing but time to kill? I drink. Whether to pass time or to forget things, you name it ill find an excuse to drink.

I recently have come to the realization that i'm playing a dangerous game. Whether the damage is to my liver or my social life. No matter the case, I watched so many people around me fall to addiction right along side me. It's so easy to do.

The hardest part for me now is (and I need help with this), is staying away from the drinking life, the people that enable me, the anxiety that pushes me to drink, and all the outside influences that make me wanna grab the bottle.

Right now I am trying to put together a plan to occupy myself for those nights alone at the hotel, the anxious nights and finding things to do to try and defeat the urge.

I am commited this time, I haven't gone 6 days in years. Its gonna be a long hard battle but I know I can do it.

Thanks for listening!!