View Single Post
Old 10-08-2017, 03:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Gilmer

Relationships are very complicated; marriage has an oceanful of emotions and memories of two people, and it can get messy.

When we were drinking, we caused a lot of hurt and resentment.

When we decide to sober up, the spouse’s resentments don’t instantly dissipate just because we’ve turned over a new leaf.

Be patient with yourself, and be patient with your husband, too.

Put your whole heart into working to build your own character. When I started taking a serious look at myself, I realized that I was very selfish, and I had expected the world to revolve around me all my life.

But I threw myself on the mercy of my higher power, asking him to show me how I needed to improve. With his help, I did improve.

He offers great comfort and consolation, and he will equip you with patience and compassion for your husband. God allowed me to see the world through my husband’s eyes for a change, and I developed fundamental compassion for him as a human being rather than licking my wounds and feeling ripped off in a loveless marriage.

I still don’t have a storybook romance, and probably never will; but I am learning to be content in all circumstances.