Old 10-01-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Layali

Originally Posted by mandosca View Post
I have been anxiously waiting for the October class to be started as I wanted to start over fresh in a new class. Something about October and the crisp fresh air always make me want to make changes, either in myself, my home etc. I look forward to spending these beautiful fall days sober and productive.. :-)

I have been trying to quit alcohol or moderate for years but got serious this past January. I look back on my calendar and I have spent probably 80% of the year sober. Unfortunately when I did drink it always turned into two, three day binges, then I would quit again. On August 18th I had a good stretch of sober days and decided I could drink on vacation... The drinking lasted a month... quit for a week.. drank for a couple days, repeat.. You would think that would be enough to convince me that moderation just isn't an option but it hasn't. I'm still trying to moderate. Today is day 6 for me, well kind of.. I had 4 drinks last night.. not enough to get me hammered for sure.. probably what a normal person may drink on a Saturday night but definitely more then the one glass I thought I could allow myself with moderation. So my question is.. should I start over on day one and restart my sober days tracker? What do you guys think?

Anyways, Right now, I don't want to moderate, I want nothing to do with alcohol but I know by Friday I will be convincing myself I can have just one... I can't do it! I have to stop

Here's my plan so far..

1. I have a recovery workbook type thing that I picked up and started filling out months ago. I'm going to reread what I've wrote so far and continue working in that.
2. Write in my journal.. this is really difficult for me as it's never been something I've done regularly but I'm going to try!
3. I'm going to ask my husband to not buy any alcohol for at least two weeks so I can get through the really hard part. He's not an alcoholic but I do think that he's been relying on it a little too much lately due to stress.
4. I'm going to keep busy!
5. I'm going to use an app that I found every time I have a craving and see if that helps.
6. And lastly of course I'm going to spend as much time as I can on Sober Recovery

I'd love to hear everyone else's plans or ideas too!

Well I hope everyone is having a wonderful sober weekend!
Hi! I'm glad you have a plan...
I am hoping that your husband really understands how serious this is for you. One thing I've learned is that when living with drinkers, it really is best when they know how serious of a problem drinking is for you. Otherwise, there is way too much wiggle room for your addictive voice to get in there.
Also, I personally would count this as day 1 for you. It seems obvious to me that you can't have just one, right? But yesterday you had four. Which honestly isn't even what most normal people drink on saturdays. I mean I don't think so.... many normal people have no drinks, a bunch seem to have one or two. Anyway I hope I'm not sounding mean or anything... I'm just trying to help. I just really love that you have a plan all set up and you seem pretty hopeful. So I hope that your talks with your husband go well and that he understands what you're going through. I think that's very important.