View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 12:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
davesnothere

Originally Posted by soberandhonest View Post
Does your wife support your efforts to quit? Is she an alcoholic? Do you think she knows the extent of your problem?

I never wanted to show any "weakness" to my girl. I took great pride in being "tough" and believed that to be a great quality. I still think there is value in that, but not when it is built on lies and not in the context of this disease. Hiding the extent of my addiction from the person closest to me and not seeking her support in overcoming it were neither positive attributes nor signs of me being tough. Rather, they were ill-conceived, irrational, and deceitful (and the deceit nearly destroyed us). I no longer view this disease in terms of toughness or weakness - it just shouldn't be measured in those terms - but if my actions were anything that could be placed on this scale, they could only be described as weak.
My wife drinks with me, but she can real it in. I just keep going. She knows about my drinking, I've told her I want to stop drinking so much. She says ok. She is supportive. I've always been very mentality strong. The kind of guy that sets a goal and works his butt off to achieve it. I let things get out of hand, I don't want her to think of me as weak.