View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 11:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Frank14

Just some food for thought:

In an ideal situation, you should probably stop drinking and make the house an alcohol-free house. This would be the most straightforward approach and send a clear signal to everyone. It would also show incredible support for your boyfriend. However, each situation is different, and we all know things aren't necessarily ideal.

My wife is a normal drinker, and it usually doesn't bother me. She drinks wine, and I simply never could drink wine because it never agreed with me. I've slowly tried to get her to stop completely and she has been receptive, but it's been a process. Occasionally she'll have a little too much and I can't tell you how disturbing this is. Drunks are so annoying

In your situation, you were drinking buddies so it may be a trigger for him, and he may resent the fact that you're able to continue to drink and "enjoy" yourself. I think it's also very confusing for your children. On one hand they've seen the negative fallout due to alcohol, and they're being told it's not a good thing. However, they see you continue to drink and it leaves them scratching their heads. I think they may think you're being hypocritical if you force your boyfriend to stop drinking and you continue. They may also have these thoughts later as they get older. I'm not sure how old they are, but when they get close to drinking age and start drinking they'll say, hey, you drink so what's the problem?