Thread: I'M back
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2017, 11:05 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
doggonecarl
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by bobdrop View Post
Guess I hit some sort of taboo here.
Not taboo, but not necessarily relevant, in my opinion.

Other would probably disagree. I have been on SR a long time. There are many with issues. Loads of them. Childhood trauma, PTSD, abuse, mental health issues. Reasons many turned to alcohol. Take the drinking away, the issues usually remain to be dealt with. But you don't have to resolve the issue to quit drinking.

But you usually have to quit drinking to deal with the issues.

Originally Posted by bobdrop View Post
I guess if we can't find an underlying issue, such as social, economical, genetic, whatever, then what hope is there for ever stopping what has caused so many so much damage?
Plenty of folks here with all kinds of social, economic, genetic, or whatever underlying issues who can attest that sobriety can be attained. Only they can tell you if "finding" the issue was a factor.

One issue all alcoholics share? Drinking. Quitting is the solution. Recovery usually points out another issue--learning to cope with life sober. If you can quit drinking and learn to live and love the sober life, you have a good chance of staying sober. If you are determined to find a cause of your drinking, see a psychiatrist.