View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
tnek97

I tried over and over again to be sober, and couldn't make it past a few weeks. I would day dream about being sober, but when actually faced with the idea of no more booze, I would become fearful.

What changed? Like others, it wasn't an aha moment, rather I finally took some action to educate myself about alcoholism, about the deadly effects of drinking (something I knew, but didn't want to confront), and address my own issues. SR is my outlet, I never did AA. I did read several books though, ones that address the issue at hand. The Naked Mind: Controlling Alcohol, this book completely opened my mind, and was exactly what I needed to jump start my sober journey.

Also listened to lots of podcasts, youtube stories, documentaries, etc., and would reflect after doing so. I think that is an important point: I had to reflect and assess my situation and how it related.

Over days, then weeks, then months, the learning, and reflection, and the simple feeling of no hangovers and sickness, helped to cement the fact that I made the right decision.

It takes work. Start now.