View Single Post
Old 09-23-2017, 04:38 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  
Gilmer

Just got back from serving hot dogs at a soccer game.

I was mentally wiped out from homework, and I almost died when I got the email reminder that I had to go set up and serve food at 5:00, plus schlep over and pick up Halal takeout sandwiches.

Quite a few Muslim families bring their kids to play. Last time all we had was pork hot dogs to offer—who knew they’d come to an event sponsored by a Christian church?

So last time I approached one lady and apologized for only having hot dogs. I asked her if there was a place in town that served Halal takeout. Sure enough, there’s a place that serves frozen yogurt in the front and makes all kinds of American, Italian, and Middle Eastern sandwiches in the back! All with Halal meat (even Halal turkey capicola, salami, and pepperoni for Italian hoagies!).

At first hardly anyone showed up at the game except for about six kids. About halfway through some non-Muslims saw the tray of untouched sandwiches and helped themselves.

Finally at the very end a large Pakistani family came. There was just enough left for everyone to get a piece of a sandwich.

It was about 90 degrees. I had to cut out—I’m really dead!

I talked to a guy in my church whose extremely frail elderly parents are trapped in Puerto Rico. A team from our church was supposed to charter a plane to go to and from the States, transporting the needy off the island.

There is no fuel, no power, and the roads are all washed out. Thousands of people are stuck in shelters, but they have no food. because there are no passable roads to get it there. The Navy has tried to send ships, but there’s no place to dock: the harbors are clogged with other ships that have sunk in the storm.

The US military is taking steps to drop food shipments by air.

My friend says that all hell might break loose in the next 48 hours. Thus far, many are housebound wit no communication, so many don’t know just how desperate the situation is all over the island.

The team from our church wasn’t able to charter the plane after all; to get to the US territory of Puerto Rico, it would have to fly over international waters, and it isn’t authorized for that.

So please offer up thoughts and prayers for the people in Puerto Rico (as well as everywhere else).