View Single Post
Old 09-23-2017, 03:46 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
dwtbd
quat

I think an almost bigger religious-like reaction comes when people deny a pleasurable experience of intoxication. As if admitting it ,even to themselves , somehow contains a quasi original sin.

Pleasure is , generallly and very broadly speaking, a result of the mind's experience of the brain being awash in a certain kind of biochemical stew. The Beast is that neural pathway that lights up in the presence of the consumption of alcohol. Its function is to identify that particular presence and send the giant thumbs up signal , the good job finding it signal, the that's the stuff , keep it coming signal.

Sometimes It goes rogue though and even starts sending out signals to call for the presence , instead of just reporting on it. Aided I'm sure by about half a bizzilion other 'lesser' pathways whose job is to report on and suggest on all kinds of ways to maintain homeostasis, a pleasant equilibrium of contentedness.

The state of addiction occurs when the scales tip for the individual and a normative judgement on the experience of intoxication takes hold. The damage of abuse outweighs the pleasure , the consequences of indulging the rogue survival instinct that signals alcohol=positive by way of biochemical pleasure is deemed or understood to be no longer worth it, but continues nonetheless.

To end the addiction one must trust the normative judgement, that the buzz , the flood of 'feel good' brain chemicals is no longer recognized as a 'good' thing by the mind, the higher functioning 'part'.

Just like I can't not taste sugar as sweet, I can't help the way alcohol 'makes me feel' , but I can do something about IT.

I don't drink, I plan on never drinking again ,ever, because I know from experience it will feel good , for a little while at least. I just don't want to, in that sense desire has little to do with it while alternatively everything to do with IT.