View Single Post
Old 09-23-2017, 05:25 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  
Gilmer

I’m glad you’re getting a lot done, FBL.

I started my new class last Monday, and there seemed to be so many assignments that it was confusing to figure out where to start.

And when I did start, it was a detailed reiteration of the very categories I hated most! So far I’ve made notes on 23 different categories, and I’m not even done!

I almost died when I realized what this class was going to demand of me. I understand how grammar works instinctively, but identifying categories of all the different noun types is nearly impossible for me.

I took a quick glance at the material and immediately set about procrastinating and crying, “Woe is me!” I even considered dropping the class (it’s an elective for me).

But finally yesterday I sat down and read the textbook. I was pleased to see that this author includes buzzwords to tip us off about which category is which.

And I decided last night to take the extra time to write everything relevant down in my notes in an easy-to-digest outline. Once I sat down and did it, I found that I reinforced my understanding by leaps and bounds.

So now it’s just after 9 am and I’m feeling good, and I’m well on my way to “conquering” this week’s assignment.

I’m cranked up now! I’ll work all morning till I burn out, then I’ll watch a quality movie (all I’d been doing so far is binge-watching both Netflix seasons of MST3K).

Moral of the story: the anticipation is always worse than actually taking that first baby step. As soon as I committed to act, I found that I was much more capable than I thought. Success breeds success!

(It’s the same with conquering temptations to drink).

I know I’m repeating myself: I feel like this is the only thing I ever say!

But I always lose sight of it because fear and worry overcome me.

The difference it makes when I just put my neck to take that first step never ceases to amaze me!