View Single Post
Old 09-22-2017, 12:19 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
JeffreyAK

Originally Posted by Greenwood618 View Post
What if the interest reappeared?
Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
If I may add to what Greenwood already asked, what if drinking were suddenly paradise on Earth instead? What then? Would you drink?
Interesting. These both seem to me like manifestations of the disease theory, I have a permanent affliction and it might someday suddenly jump out from behind a bush and attack me, with interest or with some false allure. What if this, etc. Some have this perspective and combat it with permanent meetings, service, and so on, but it sounds like there's an element of this in AVRT too, where it's combated by falling back to a solemn vow? Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

My own experience so far has been, triggers are part of a biochemical reactive phase that does fade away. They were mental knee-jerks, but in their absence - which has been always for many years now - there's no more desire to drink alcohol than to quaff paint thinner. I can't imagine suddenly having interest in quaffing paint thinner, and I know I've had zero interest for decades in snorting coke or dropping acid, so it stands to reason that there's no alcohol tiger behind any bushes either. I've looked around a lot of bushes, been scared or anxious about some, but nope, no tigers. I guess I don't believe in tigers anymore.