View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 10:10 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Algorithm

Originally Posted by jessicamae View Post
I always wonder, if they "cure my addiction" can I go tie one off after and not face any problems nor consequences?
The "new" cure that RR speaks of is as old as the hills -- planned, permanent abstinence. It is a cure in the sense that no new problems will ever arise from drinking/using if one abstains from doing so.

In AVRT, the aim is not to remove the addiction, but to learn to live comfortably with it as an impotent, and harmless, albeit perhaps permanent, presence. In fact, unlike in other methods, the desire itself (aka, the Beast) is not considered the cause of the addiction, even though it is the source of the cause (the Addictive Voice).

In AVRT, the target is the proximal cause, not the distal one. To use an analogue, picture a revolver. Instead of targeting the bullets for removal, the target would be the firing trigger, which is closer to the hands, and which sets the bullets in motion.

I try to ignore the voices that tell me it's OK this time to go get high, a beer would never lead to shooting up pills again lol.
With AVRT, we don't ignore those voices or try to remove them -- we welcome them as a normal and natural consequence of physiological adaptation. The body is doing precisely what it was designed to do, whether by G-d or by evolution, even though it may not have been prepared for the onslaught of hedonic chemicals.

We recognize that such voices do not necessarily indicate disease, and that they are normal and perfectly healthy, given the conditions that gave rise to them. We know that we are perfectly safe from them, because we understand where they come from, and because they are relatively easy to recognize once properly defined.

As I read more about this there are many similarities between the two programs as well as differences. What fun would things be if we all did the same exact things?
Similar logic, yes, but the logic engines are spinning in different directions.

• "Any thinking which contradicts the program is the voice of your disease."
    vs.
  • "Any thinking which contradicts your Big Plan is the voice of your addiction."

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
I'm curious, AVRT practitioners: Do you not drink because you say so (Will), or because you really don't want to (Lack Of Desire)? Seems to me there's a difference. I really don't want to drink ever again, that's the major reason why I won't. It's not that I want to but refuse, or "can't", or even that some other part of me wants to but my cerebrum over-rules it, I just plain don't want to ever go there again because I recognize "there" for what it is, hell on Earth.
Through the lens of AVRT, the desire for the absence of the desire to indulge in order to abstain simply conceals a plan to indulge in the presence of that very desire. So does the 'hell on Earth' contingency on abstinence. Both sentiments are Addictive Voice, since they both support and suggest the possibility of some more drinking.

If I may add to what Greenwood already asked, what if drinking were suddenly paradise on Earth instead? What then? Would you drink?