Old 09-21-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Thompson21

Insomnia and PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome)

I've been on a roller coaster for the past year and a half dealing with issues related to PAWS. I've seen other people posting about it and it seems like it's a good place to reach out.

Here's my story: I've been on ADHD meds for most of my 20s . I decided I didn't want to get addicted to stimulants like adderral so I tried this new stuff called strattera. Was on it for five months and I was also drinking energy drinks and smoking cigarettes while on it, just to be productive with my work... Well that brought on panic attacks and heart palpatations, and a couple months later I was having anxiety problems all the time, no matter what, caffeine or not. I stopped taking strattera and my life became even worse. Starting around the end of march 2016 (I stopped in February) I would have panic attacks, insomnia, severe dry mouth every day. Life was a nightmare, and I thought it would go away, but sadly it didn't, it just stayed on. Panic attacks and dry mouth did lessen after 6 months, but I still get those symptoms time to time when work is stressful. Most nights I wake up at least once, and I follow an exercise routine to combat it. It seems like PAWS fits the description of what I'm going through. I'm depressed thinking that I'll never get better, this will follow me for the rest of my life, all for abusing my body for a couple months with stimulants.

It seems like PAWS happens after different types of drug abuse. I'm dying to know is there anyone out there that has had this? What did you do to cope? Did it ever go away and how long did it take? I've heard two years is the norm but have also heard longer. The way my symptoms are I can't see myself "normal" at two years, which is five months away. Any answers are much appreciated!