View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 12:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Oceanlady

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
For people with solid sobriety, what's your secret? What do you do to help you stay sober? Please share. I could use more tools.

Thanks!
4 years for me! At first it sounded so easy! Just stop drinking wine!!!!
After a couple of months without vino I reolized recovery would require many life changes. First of all, I was making myself suffer too much.
Things that I had to stop included:
1. Not trying to replace wine with pretend wine, no more non alcoholic wine ,, there teasers! Drink Pepsi, coffee,or fruit drinks. Pretending makes you a wanta be!!
2. No more gatherings of the old happy hour crowd at my house! Why should I suffer not only watching them drink, but sip , which I could never do, I'm a gulper!!!!
3. Make a promise to god that I would never drink again, hard to worm out of when he's watching me 24/7.
4. Grasp the concept that I have an inner predator that would like to take over, all I had to do was tell him, get out! I don't drink! No meetings, no therapy, no money! Find the book!
Sounds easy, but it's still hard work and determination!
The rewards are plentiful, peace of mind, regularly sleeping, control of my actions, self respect.... and much much more!!