View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 08:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Wholesome

I like how our addiction is called the Beast, we are just animals, smart monkeys, and all animals are driven by their instincts, our brains are wired to do things that feel good. But since we are really smart monkeys we can story tell and predict outcomes and learn from our mistakes and teach and evolve from our experiences, we are more than just beasts. We've created these intricate stories and called them religions to help us reign in our carnal desires, same thing with laws and justice. As a species we tame the beasts within us to not let our desires rule us. But at the same time we've got everything we could want at our fingertips, food, booze, drugs, sex, money, power, material possessions and those things make our brains feel GOOD. The world has changed so quickly that our brains have not adapted, my dad had an outhouse and a black and white tv as a kid. One generation and later and look at the world, it's crazy. What I've really been learning lately is self discipline, I think most of us were taught through punishment, break the law, get punished, sin, go to hell, get drunk, suffer an hangover, eat the chocolate, be fat. Self discipline isn't about fear of punishment, it's about doing the right thing for the greater reward, whatever that might be.